On the other hand, customer loyalty is the tendency of a customer to continue to buy products or services from the same company over time. Customer loyalty is usually high when customers are satisfied with the company's products or services.
The key elements for customer trust
There are three key elements to customer trust: competence, consistency, and communication. In order for your company to build customer trust and loyalty, it must excel in all three of these areas.
1) Competence: Can your company deliver on its promises?
The first step for gaining customer trust and loyalty is demonstrating that your company is competent. Customers need to believe that you can deliver good products and services. They need to know that you have the skills and experience to get the job done.
Here a few ways to build competence:
- Hire competent employees: Your employees are the face of your company and are the ones that interact with customers. Make sure you hire employees who are skilled and who will represent your company well.
- Train your employees: Once you've hired competent employees, it's important to train them properly. Give them the tools they need to succeed. Teach them about your company's values and how you expect them to interact with customers.
- Provide excellent customer service: Excellent customer service is essential to building customer trust. Customers need to know that they can count on you to solve any problems they may have. Make sure your employees are knowledgeable and helpful, and that they always put the customer first.
2) Consistency: Is your company reliable?
The second step for gaining customer trust is demonstrating that your company is consistent. Customers need to know that they can rely on you to do what you say you're going to do. They need to feel confident that they can count on you, no matter what.
Here are a few ways to build consistency:
- Be consistent in your actions: Follow through on your promises and let customers know what to expect from your company. They should be able to predict how you will behave in any given situation. Make sure your employees are always representing your company in the same positive light.
- Don't make excuses: If something goes wrong, don't try to cover it up or make excuses. Be honest with your customers and let them know what happened. Then, work to fix the problem as quickly as you can.
3) Communication: Is your company transparent and honest?
The third step for gaining customer trust and loyalty is demonstrating that your company is transparent and honest in its communications with customers.
That's what you can do:
- Be clear and concise: Make sure your communications are clear and to the point. Customers should never have to guess what you're trying to say.
- Be honest: If you make a mistake, admit it and apologize. Customers will respect you more for your honesty than they will for your attempts to cover up the truth.
- Give customer transparency: You can rely on technology, such as smart labels, to let customers find out more about the product they are buying, the supply chain, and your real commitment to sustainability or social issues.
How to build customer loyalty
There are many strategies for building customer trust and loyalty, but the following are essential:
1. Offer quality products and services
This is the most important thing a company can do to earn customer trust and loyalty. If customers are happy with what they receive, they will keep coming back. It's that simple. To ensure quality, you need to constantly monitor your products and services and make sure they meet customer expectations. To do so, you can check customer reviews, or collect customer feedback via surveys or social media conversations.
2. Offer excellent customer service
As we have already said, another key to building customer trust and loyalty is offering excellent customer service. This means being friendly and helpful, responding to customer inquiries quickly and efficiently, and resolving any problems that may arise. By offering great customer service, your company shows customers that it cares about them.
3. Create a personalized customer experience
In today's competitive marketplace, it's more important than ever to create a personalized customer experience. This means tailoring products, services, and communications to meet the specific needs and preferences of each customer. By doing this, you can build a relationship of trust with them that will keep them coming back. In fact, why should they look for anything else when you give them exactly what they want?
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning help you to collect and analyze big data, thus identifying their real needs and desires.
4. Reward loyalty
Finally, you should reward customers for their loyalty. You can do it in many ways, such as offering single discounts, freebies, or special treatment. However, the best way is to create loyalty programs that are tailored to customers' preferences. You will see that by showing appreciation and encouraging them to take action, they will keep coming back.
The role of technology
Do you know social media, mobile apps, push notifications, chatbots and virtual assistants, augmented reality and virtual reality, IoT, or connected products? These are just some of the many solutions you have nowadays to improve customer trust and loyalty. And you need them.
Indeed, we live in a hyper-connected world, and you must be able to offer a phygital customer experience. Technology bridges the physical and digital worlds. It allows you to increase engagement, automate some processes, and reduce costs, without affecting the quality of your service.
Moreover, technology allows you to take care of data security, ensuring that customer data is protected from malicious or unauthorized access or use. And that's another important element for building customer trust and loyalty.